Thursday, February 24, 2011

Character Sketch Post #2. Bonet.

Bonet stood up before the class, holding her two masks. The surgical types, of the odd  robin's egg blue, and cloth across the mouth, a type I'd only ever seen in manga or reports about bird Flu. "These are two surgical masks." Said Bonet. Her eyes were somewhat downward cast. "See um... when I was little I had a really weak immune system. And sometime's I faked it. For attention from my parents." She rubbed the mask a bit, her eyes cast downward. "Eventually parents figured it out and said, "Oh you're faking it" whenever I got sick" She rocked back a little bit, tottering between sitting on the desk and not. "Then last year... I got tuberculosis" I had to blink at that. Tuberculosis. Wasnt that disease that made you cough blood? ...then again there coulda been a lot of those. "When I came to school, they said that I shouldnt tell anyone. I had to fake it. Say i wasnt that sick. While i wore the mask. People thought I was lying, and a lot of people hated me for it." She said, straight faced... "I couldnt breath in this one" She held up the tortiseshell. "There was a lot of lining in this one. Polymer or something. Maybe that's why?" She shrugged. "This one" She switched shell for strip of cloth. "I could breath in" I was kind of stunned. Wow. That must've sucked. She continued. "My dad and my siblings and I grew closer.We'd drifted apart a bit. after my mom died.... but now..." she smiled, as if she hadnt just told us her mom was dead. "They knew I wasnt lying this time. That was nice." She outright grinned. "I was lucky too. I got the worst kind of tuberculosis. Like the black plauge era, kind. If i handnt gone earlier... The doctors told me I would've died at 25." I could only sit there stunned. Holy crap. She had dealt with more emotional trauma than I'd ever dealt with. And she'd told it, all the while with a smile across her face. She was a tougher girl than I had ever given her credit for. Bonet, if you're reading this, Props to you, girl. Goddamn Props.

No comments:

Post a Comment